How To Get Rid Of A Squatter In Your Property

Performance Property Real Estate Question

Q: I let my friend stay in my condo while I was away taking care of my mother.  Now she won’t leave.  How can I get her out? Jacqueline, Caldwell, NJ

A: It doesn’t sound like your friend was a tenant–tenants have rights that occupants do not.  Removal of unauthorized occupants requires pursuit of an ejectment action which is different from an eviction.  Evictions normally take place in landlord-tenant court.  Ejectment actions in NJ are filed in the special civil part of Superior Court.  I strongly suggest you consult an experienced local real estate attorney for counsel on specific steps you should take to remove your friend.  Thanks for your question, Jacqueline. 

For more real estate tips and information visit my blog at