How To Address & Prevent Mold In A Home

Performance Property Real Estate Question

Q: We visited my grandmother recently and I saw mold growing in her home. What can we do? Elliot, Tewksbury NJ

A: I’m not sure how bad the mold in your grandmother’s house is. If it’s bad, you should consider bringing in a specialist. If the mold is minor and you catch it early, mold can be removed from hard surfaces with household products, soap, water, or ideally a bleach solution. Bleach kills virtually every species of indoor mold. The problem is that if there is too much humidity and moisture in your grandmother’s home and the home is poorly ventilated, the mold will return. The way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture. After you address the existing mold problem, I suggest you get a dehumidifier for your grandmother’s home. Thanks for your question, Elliot.

For more real estate tips and information visit my blog at