5 Ways To Stop Pipes From Freezing In Your Property
Q: I’m recently retired and plan to spend most of the winter in Arizona. How can I keep the pipes in my house from freezing during the winter? Joe, Buffalo, NY
A: Winter time in many colder places unfortunately means increased risk of pipes in your home or property freezing and bursting. Here are 5 tips to help prevent pipes in your property from freezing:
- Wrap pipes near exterior walls and in crawl spaces with pipe insulation or with heating tape.
- Keep your home heated when it’s cold even if you’re going away or leaving the house for a long period of time.
- Open cabinet doors below sinks to allow heat from the home to circulate.
- Cover or close open-air vents because freezing temperatures combined with wind drafts can cause pipes to freeze.
- Weather seal your windows.
Thanks for your question, Joe.
For more real estate tips and information visit my blog at geraldlucas.com.