3 Home Health Dangers In Older Homes
Q: My boyfriend and I have been trying to buy a home for a while. We found one in our price range, but it has mold, do you think that is a big deal. Shannon, Linden, NJ
A: Exposure to mold can cause a variety of negative health effects particularly for people with respiratory problems and for people who are immuno-compromised. Here are 3 home health dangers to watch out for particularly in older homes: 1. Mold is the biggest risk in homes where humidity exists. You can use a dehumidifier to reduce moisture and mold within a home. I suggest you require the owner of the home you want to buy to ameliorate the mold issue before you buy. 2. Asbestos. If you breathe asbestos fibers, you increase the risk of several serious diseases, including asbestosis, mesothelioma and lung cancer. The EPA banned asbestos in most products in 1989. Homes built before 1980 are at biggest risk for asbestos. You can pay a professional to remove asbestos from a home. 3. Lead Paint. Lead is dangerous to people of all ages, but children younger than 6 years old are particularly vulnerable. The government banned consumer use of lead-based paint in 1978 so homes built before 1978 are at biggest risk for lead paint contamination. Inside the home, most lead dust comes from chipping and flaking paint or when paint is scraped, sanded, or disturbed during home remodeling. You can deal with lead paint in more than one way. One way of reducing exposure to lead paint is to cover the surface with a new surface—this is known as enclosure. You can also regularly wipe down floors, windowsills and other paint-covered surfaces to keep them free from lead dust. Thanks for your question, Shannon.
For more real estate tips and information visit my blog at geraldlucas.com.